Our Curriculum Intent in Science is that:
- All students in Science are valued and nurtured to enable them to develop the resilience that will be essential for them to meet their potential now and in the future.
- All students understand why Science learning is relevant to them in their daily/future lives.
- All students are given the opportunity to develop the depth and breadth of knowledge in Science that, not only prepares them for future exam and career success, but crucially enables them to develop as a person with a wide range of experience and skills.
- All students develop the disciplinary knowledge and practical skills necessary to enable them to investigate the world around them successfully both within a lab setting and safely in their everyday lives.
- All students understand the STEM/STEAM careers that are available to them and challenge gender stereotypes that might otherwise limit their potential in future.
- Students understand PSHE concepts and British values within the context of the Science curriculum.
Gold Standard Teaching and Learning in Science
We expect that in Science this includes:-
- clear learning aims each lesson and a clear route to achieving success
- high demands of pupil involvement and engagement with their learning
- an appropriate use of a range of pedagogies and learning strategies
- Students talking and writing like a scientist using key vocabulary
- regular practical lessons focused on developing students understand of working scientifically
- regular use of encouragement and rewards to engage and motivate pupils
- full coverage of the National Curriculum KS3 Programme of Study
- the opportunity to make connections between Science study and the wider world including applications and STEM careers
- Science Faculty Learning Journey KS3 to KS4 (fully implemented for all years by September 2025)
- ‘Legacy’ Science Learning Journey (KS4 only from September 2023)
- Amy White
- Rosie Williams
- Carol Ashton
- Halima Alam – Second in Science
- Julie Downing
- Sally Hodgkinson
- Sam Bell
- Adam Peake – Head of Science
To find out more about the curriculum we are studying please contact staff via email