Our Curriculum Intent
The Technology team aim to develop resilient, independent and confident students who have practical and evaluative skills and analytical knowledge in our wide range of vocational subjects.
Students are encouraged to foster globally responsible attitudes through investigating materials, technological developments and an understanding of sustainability on a local, national and international level.
All our subjects include an understanding of how the world works and going forward to anticipate jobs that have not yet even been created. Technology is an ever-expanding discipline that has problem solving at its core, is academic as well as practical, involves learning through doing and we hope above all, enjoyable.
Gold Standard Teaching and Learning in Business Studies
Goal Orientated (Planning for Progress)
- Data driven Seating plans (highlighting DP, HAPs, MAPs, LAP, SEN)
- Students will engage in a Starter Task in every lesson (this can be a written or an oracy task).
- Differentiated Blooms, learning objectives displayed clearly.
- Students understand the Big Picture, what they are learning and why: links to prior learning made clear.
- Clearly identified links to Personal Development (RIC).
- Highly effective questioning to identify and address misconceptions.
- Formative and Summative Assessment to diagnose and inform next steps.
- Model excellence and how to achieve it.
- Revisit and ‘low stakes’ testing e.g.Starter and Plenary quizzes to make connections and support recall.
Open dialogue (Feedback for improvement)
- High quality feedback is given in response to specific pieces of work.
- Progress tracked on student’s assessment maps.
- Regular formative assessment will be varied and impactful e.g.framed as a question as opposed to a comment.
- Live marking is encouraged to manage workload and teachers are encouraged to have ‘purple pen in hand’ when they are intervening with students during the lesson.
- Literacy corrections in line with stickers.
- Student response to feedback (DIRT) using green pen.
- Self and peer-assessment used to develop independence.
- Positive Learning Environment created by mutually respectful relationships (staff/pupil + pupil/pupil).
- Adults consistently model the values of the school and support curriculum intent.
- Engaged, enthused and independent learners- Lighting Fires Curriculum.
- Reward effort and resilience by providing opportunities for students to speculate, investigate, and make mistakes.
- Consistent application of the Consequence and Achievement system.
- Students show pride in their learning through the presentation of their work:
o Neat organised books/folders with Assessment maps and Target stickers
o Date and title underlined with a ruler- classwork and home study clearly identified
o Support should be provided for students who miss lessons, either through Teams or via email.
Differentiation for Challenge and support
- Use of data and student information to plan for individual needs. (Prior Attainment, FFT 20/5 Target data, SEND)
- Differentiated learning outcomes (these can be verbalised or displayed in the classroom)
- Stretch and challenge- upholding high expectations for HAPs (Over 50% of our cohort)
- Targeted questioning- include all students and make students think, using open and follow up questions to expand understanding. No hands up.
- Improve oracy in the classroom; students respond to questions or contributions in full sentences (talk for writing).
- Additional intervention for disadvantaged, Vulnerable, VIP, with a particular focus on Narrowing the Word Gap.
Key Stage 4 Examination Overview
Exam Board Details: Edexcel
Paper 1 50% 1 ½ hours (Theme 1)
Paper 2 50% 1 ½ hours (Theme 2)
What resources could I buy or borrow that will help my child?
Pearson Revise Edexcel (9-1) Business Revision Guide ISBN 978-1-292-19071-6
What are the key websites or Apps that my child could use?
What can I do to encourage my child to take a further interest in Business Studies?
Watch Dragons Den and The Apprentice to help understand the business world
To find out more about the curriculum we are studying please contact staff via email